Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Annie Hall


The guy sitting across from me at the coffe shop (right now) told me it was really "brave" of me to wear a tie. Once I had thanked him in my normal high, squeaky voice of shock that there are actually other people around and they see me, I started to get somewhat frustrated. Is it really "brave" for a woman to wear a tie?

I've always harbored a love for Diane Keaton's look in Annie Hall, so wearing men's clothing seems rather natural to me. In fact, I almost paired my vest and tie with khakis, just so that it would be even more like the her iconic outfit from the film. I had opted against it, because I thought the reference would be too obvious. Apparently, I was wrong.

But there is a long history of female "cross-dressing." At one time it may have been shocking - think Joan of Arc. But upon reflection it seems to have been more inspirational to the fashion community than anything else. At the turn of the century, as "women's roles changed," ties were a common accessory on outfits that were increasingly masculine in shape and style. Marlene Dietrich has remained a fashion icon, partially for her brilliant cooptation of men's clothing. The scenes of her in "drag" are, at least to me, still some of the sexiest ever caught on screen. And then there's Annie Hall, making her appearance regularly in the pages of fashion magazines as the reference for menswear inspired pieces.

The problem is: it isn't "drag." Annie Hall isn't expressing her masculinity by wearing a tie. She's just wearing it. And so am I. And so should everyone. Fashion is always about references, but it should never be about categorization.

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 The Bias Cut | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki